Blog #1: L&L Narrative Brainstorm Worksheet

Instructions: Please respond to the questions that follow with as much detail and description that you can. The more you put into reflecting now on the complexities of your language and literacy development, the better off you’ll be in completing our major assignment for our first phase of this course. Take as much space as you need.

1a .One time I was drawing as a kid and my Grandma came home to visit me and my family. I was drawing with colored pencils but I don’t remember what I was drawing then X-men popped up in my mind and I automatically had an image of the character Wolverine. So I went to my Grandma to explain this superhero called Wolverine but I was speaking to her in English which was a problem so I had to stop and translate everything I said into Spanish but there was another problem she has no clue who the heck is wolverine so I had to use my color pencil and use all 6 of them to make them like I have claw-like as wolverine and that’s when she remembered this superhero.

2. A robust material from my memory I can recall is a “mouth model”. This mouth model helped me a lot to improve my speaking skills when I was taking speech class back in elementary school. I remember Miss K was frustrated with me to pronounced some vocabulary so she pulled out a mouth model so that I can follow my tongue and the mouth model tongue to produce those pronunciations nicely. I felt so satisfied in those precious moments because no one has ever thought me English in that form of procedure.

3. Ms.Ricardo was my ESL (English Secondary Language) teacher in elementary school which was my most hated class of all time. I would be called in during gym class so I would get angry like any kid missing out on fun time. But recalling now I must say she was the one who actually helped improve my literature skills in general. Heck because of her I was able to write long sentences which I did not possess the capabilities to do so.

4. I’m embarrassed to say but I would get made fun of for not “speaking proper English” when I say mispronounced a word with a group of friends or people around my age in school.

5. I would like to make a speculation about how the internet affected the way people around my age make conversation. So as a kid or my childhood, I did not grow up with the internet. I simply did not have access, I had local channel on t.v that no watches in my school. In my experience, I barely make any engaging conversations with a group of friends in school because they would always talk about movies, shows, sports, celebrities, and games and you need the internet to fully understand its content and context. It really affected how other kids would socialize with the internet.